Friday, November 23, 2018

From Cockroach-hunt to a Musical Bonanza

It was yet another day in the everyday holiday life of a retiree, except that  Aunty didn't have to cook lunch that morning. A common friend hosted lunch to a senior couple going abroad for a few months, and he invited us too. 

One enjoys such bonus free morning hours at home with an extra cup of coffee with something to go with it. “I give you two options,” said Aunty.  I guessed, it must be Idly or Dosa for breakfast. “Should we,” she quipped, “weed out the attic of things we had hoped we would find a use later or, should we re-set the furniture to be remotely close to my friend's enviable interior in Oak?” (Comparative dissatisfaction, thy name!)

Observing my stoic silence on both these labour-intense projects, she reduced the sentence. “Or, shall we just dust the living room?” I agreed. It was ages since the living room furniture came in contact with a duster. “We shall complete the job before the help-lady comes so that she clears all the accumulation in one go,” she clarified.

We started the operation right earnest. Moments later Aunty got the jolt of her life. Her hitherto challenge to all and the sundry that no one can spot a single cockroach in her home was shattered. A medium size cockroach surfaced and played around merrily to give Aunty a real hide and seek discomfiture.

“I say, where are you?” she shouted. I was momentarily out of her sight, which I should never be during such joint ventures. I rushed. By then she had gathered one broom in her hand and another ready to hand me. She briefed me on her plan of action. She would deploy all available means at her disposal to provoke the cockroach to re-emerge and I, at my end, should stay ready with a raised hand with broom to perform in no uncertain terms the executioner's job. But it looked that this particular breed was made of a different stuff.  It chose to remain in hibernation. With nothing in sight after a twenty-minute non-stop operation including turning the showcase topsy-turvy, the never-say-die Aunty changed her strategy. “Now I will empty the show-case of all its contents from the drawers, and see where it seeks asylum.”

She spotted two egg capsules in the process. A student of science having done several dissections in the college lab, she began to explain to an unwilling economist how each of these could convert itself into nearly 30 cockroaches, i.e., 60, to speak of the minimum with the stock identified.

The doorbell rang signalling, much to my relief, the arrival of the maid. That brought the operation to an abrupt halt with the Cockroach & Co getting a respite. Till the next battle, that is.

On the brighter side of this abortive attempt was that while emptying the showcase, I found my long-lost collection of CDs which I thought I had handed over lock, stock and barrel to my friend in Hebbal before moving to SFV. Thankfully I had retained these select few – Anthony Ventura, Paul Mauriat, Kenny G, ABBA, BoneyM, Haridas Bhajans...


The maid got busy with her job, I enjoyed Anthony Ventura in my laptop as I attempted this write-up. Aunty played Haridas bhajan in the living room as she condescended to make coffee, simultaneously branding me an NPA in the cockroach-hunt that, to me, transformed itself into a musical bonanza. I can now hear these CDs by turn as I used to in the 1980s when I attempted writing some pieces for Hindustan Times or Times of India.

No comments:

Share