Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Beverages, Books, Movies for Convalescence



Sometimes you feel you are better off with a bout of illness here and there. The privileges are many, and without murmur. Coffee, tea, or breakfast, is at your bedside table on time. And, an extra cup of coffee that you hitherto had to muster courage to ask for is supplied without a grumble. Should one ideally fall sick more often, you begin entertaining unwanted thoughts.

It is during such periods that you catch up with things that you had wanted to do for quite some time. First I debated if I should inaugurate some of the novels that I had picked up indiscriminately at the 2013 Annual Library Book Sale in the US, at 20 cents apiece. A little awestruck, my son and d-i-l asked me politely if I really meant to carry them all to India. Yes, I replied, in an unguarded moment.

On our next visit to US, my son promptly gifted me with “Nook”, the e-book reader, right at the airport itself when he received us. What a pre-emptive move. “Got the message,” I reassured him with a side-glance, and he smiled, bringing to an end the acquisition of physical copies.

These books stay untouched by hand since then. Still, on hindsight I feel proud of this well-arranged collection in the bookshelf that I specially had the Interiors design. Happily, more often this display misleads my uninitiated guests into believing they are in a litterateur’s abode.

 Against this backdrop, first I laid my hands on a collection of PG Wodehouse’s “Jeeves the Omnibus”. I managed to get past the first two warm-up pages before I felt the font was too small - not to speak of the pages that have since turned yellow. I put it down, wondered how at this rate I was ever going to get to read Crime and Punishment - a 1964 edition.

No time to brood. I selected one of Stephen King’s, the murder mystery master. While reading the pages, I began to feel literally the stink in my room as the father-son duo delivered a gruesome death blow to the wife/mother whose body they threw in the deep well outside their house, where it lay rotten. To make up the reason for the stink, the father-son covered the well top with a light wooden plank and had their cow mount it only to fall deep in the well. They convinced those in the vicinity that their cow accidentally fell in the well and since it could not be saved, they shot it, and hence the stink. “Not my cup of tea, I said to myself,” and picked the ginger tea instead that Aunty just served me hot.

Why not try movies? After all, I have paid for one of the high-end all-encompassing packages to Tata Sky. It is during this browsing session that I encountered a flash that arrested my attention, “Movies You Must See Before You Die”. That was an interesting challenge. I might as well try it.

The first it was an old movie, Taxi Driver, by Martin Scorsese, the renowned director, featuring Robert De Nero. It was nice to see Robert De Nero in his late twenties – at least that was what he looked like. The movie was okay, but personally I wondered if it could qualify for one of the all-time greats. But then these movie selections are subjective. One man’s meat could be another man’s poison. That said, I liked Robert De Niro’s another one, Man of Stone, where he acts as the legendary trainer of the Panamanian boxer Roberto Duran.

Then I watched Al Pacino’s “Recruit”, although I am not sure it was from the “….before you Die” category. But it was engrossing, with Al Pacino playing a customary powerful role.

By this time, Aunty has lost her patience, and didn’t want it to be ‘my way, all the way”. She selected a movie, “The Confession”, a Netflix presentation featuring Alec Baldwin and Ben Kinsley – a father murdering three hospital staff in a row for the death of his young son caused due to negligence. A gripping movie of psychological warfare between righteousness and legality.

V V Sundaram
Maple 3195
15 Nov 2017


No comments:

Share