Friday, September 15, 2017

From Gossip to Godliness


 Hari (3192) had gone for shopping. Viswanathan (3161) had some other engagement. For my evening stroll I had thus to fend for company. After all, you can’t do a soliloquy of world news and the resultant debate all by yourself, and unto yourself. Maybe I should circumambulate our supreme abode (the more populated areas in particular  - Swimming Pool, Pine, Park, and Maple) for a chance meeting of someone for a chat.

There was no dearth of people around. But everyone had his pre-arranged group and agenda for discussions, to be able to spare even a side-glance at me, let alone extend a smile. However, an elderly gentleman was enjoying solitude near the pathway to the Oak basement – close to the de facto ladies gazebo. On closer scrutiny I observed he was either in deep meditation or chanting mantras. On my third round I saw him collecting his belongings – a hand-towel, mobile phone, and the specs cover – probably to head back home.

“Doing Japam enjoying a cool breeze, Sir? I asked him, from a distance of five metres. “Come, come,” he hailed me. I joined him. “I am Sundaram. I too chant  - Vishnu Sahasranamam,” I said, to set the ball rolling. No reaction. Maybe he is not impressed.  “Also Rudram and Chamakam,” I added, though it is six months since I recited R&C. On rare occasions I allow myself such liberty, to boost credence to my spiritual bio data. You never know it might trigger re-start of R&C. In which case the end will justify means.

“I am a devotee of Satya Sai Baba, of Puttaparthi,” he announced. “I too had darshan of Baba thrice – once in Delhi and twice in Puttaparthi,” I added, in a bid to be at par. But his experiences were of a different league. On one occasion he and his wife had got a special paduka made which they somehow wanted Baba to wear so that it stays blessed and they could worship it at home. But they were no VIPs. So they stood on the side as Baba walked by giving darshan. Suddenly from nowhere his wife pushed the paduka on to the carpet as Baba was approaching. Baba stopped, wore them for a while, and moved on. “Can you believe that, Subramaniam? He asked. “Sundaram,” I modified.

“Years later my wife had to undergo spinal cord surgery,” he unfolded his second experience. Her brother, a senior doctor in another discipline, had made all arrangements for her surgery. But our friend won’t give the green signal without Baba’s directive. The family was based in Hyderabad, and Baba was then in Whitefield. He rushed to Bangalore, stayed in the ashram for three days hoping for Baba’s darshan, and audience. Two days passed. No luck. The third day afternoon he had booked his ticket for Hyderabad. That morning also Baba went past the crowd and our friend waited in vain. After walking past him ten steps, Baba stepped back towards him. “Baba, Sharada (name changed), spinal cord, operation, …” he fumbled. Baba probably signaled him there was no need. He returned to Hyderabad, and told them to abandon surgery.

A few days later he booked tickets to take their daughter back to Ahmedabad after delivery. “Buy one for me too,” came a voice from behind. It was his wife, still confined to bed. “For you? You can’t even get up on your own. How can you board the train?” he asked, but booked one, just not to displease her. A day before the journey she began to be on her own, and undertook the journey successfully. “All Baba’s grace, Mr Sundar Raman,” he shared proudly. “Just Sundaram,” I clarified. “Yes, can you beat that, Judge Sundaram?” he quipped.

V V Sundaram
Maple 3195
15 Sept 2017

No comments:

Share