Sunday, December 9, 2012

It's a Small World


It's a Small World

While in US, to keep myself occupied I joined some like-minded mailing groups – Thatha Patty, Iyer-123, US Brahmins. In the process I acquired a few pen friends, some based in India. Gradually it was mutually felt we should meet one another personally when we visited India next.

Thus came about an invitation from Mrs Lalitha Subramanian to join them in their hill resort in Yelagiri. We enjoyed a two-day stay with them, marked by enviable hospitality. During the chat it transpired that she was also from Palghat. Nay, she is from the same village Vadakkantharai as I am, and her grandfather was in Police force. I shot back, “Are you Sankaran’s daughter?”  “No, he is my Chittappa,” she corrected.

Feeling a bit sidelined, KS (her husband) began to unfold his antecedents, in a bid to get connected. Lo, he is from Ramanathapuram village, my mother’s place where I spent the best of my childhood. This newfound affinity gave a new fillip to their hospitality, what with Ada Pradhaman, Kalan, Vazakka bajji, onion pakora, masala tea and, in between, indigenous digestive golis as anti-dote. We now look forward to their reciprocal visit to Bangalore before we return to US.

The next was a visit to our place by Mr V. Swaminathan. He was a walking encyclopedia on who is whose who. By way of a formal introduction when my wife mentioned of her Kolkatta upbringing, he was quick to add that he recently attended in Bangalore the 100th birthday celebrations of his friend’s father, retired as a Head Master in Kolkatta. What a welcome surprise. My wife and her sisters had studied under him; not only that, the two families lived in the same lane.

She got the contact details. His daughter picked up the phone. Even before my wife could give a brief introduction, she jumped in and said: “Yes Lalitha, I remember you very well. Don’t’ you recollect we appeared in the bank examination together? You made it, and I didn’t. But I got a job in another bank.” The next forty-five minutes of their chat were interspersed with joyous laughter, giggles, “Oh My God”,  “Really?” “Don’t tell me”, “I guessed as much”, and the like. In the end she confided that Padma Priya, a leading actress in Malayalam and Tamil movies is her sister’s daughter.

Next, we invited GV, as he is known, and his wife Jyoti. We were meeting them too for the first time. As the conversation progressed we realized that years ago we had enjoyed snacks at his parents’ house in Coimbatore, absolute strangers to them though. It so happened that we were on an unscheduled visit to Coimbatore, and thought of calling on my sister and husband who had just moved in. Watching us knock at my sister’s door repeatedly, GV’s father, next door, stepped out, said they had gone to Bombay, and invited us to his own and treated us with Adai and coffee. As GV and I were sharing this discovery, my wife and Jyoti, pursuing their chat independently in the kitchen, stumbled upon another coincidence. Jyoti’s sister and my wife’s Athai are married to brothers.

We have a few more pen friends to visit or invite. We are keeping our fingers crossed that they might as well turn out to be our distant cousins.

V.V. Sundaram
Bangalore
22 November 2012

No comments:

Share