Thursday, July 27, 2023

Travelogue 2: Palakkad, Guruvayoor and back


Babu topped up diesel before halting at Palakkad for the day. Can’t guess if the Tamil diesel rate was cheaper or he wanted to save time for the umpteen temple visits in Kerala the next day. Rohan decided to use the restroom at the petrol pump. I asked him how it was. “Horrible Thatha, just a hole in the ground!”. Curious, I went to check it out for myself. Stepping in, I saw his “hole in the ground” - the Indian style toilet!

Our journey continued through Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and Kerala. As we approached Palakkad, I requested Babu to slow down. “On our left is the school I studied, and on the right my college,” I pointed to my grandsons. “Such old buildings?” quipped the younger. “Yes, I studied there 65 years ago kiddo, and these looked just as old even then” I clarified. “Just off the cuff statement; nothing personal, Thatha,” hastened the elder defending his younger brother.

After some rest at Krishna Garden Homestay, I helped both grandsons to tie dhoti for the temple visits. “Thatha you are ‘strangling’ my waist.  It’s too tight,” complained Rohan. “No beta, just wanted to ensure the dhoti doesn’t disown and embarrass you in public.” “Come on Thatha, I am not a child.” 

We went to two Devi temples. After darshan at the first, we rushed to the second where the curtains had already been drawn for the final deeparadhana of the day. I saw Rohan observing the carvings around minutely.  “Thatha, why is it so carved that the poor tortoise is made to bear on its back the weight of the huge six-storeyed brass lamp?” “I will tell you later,” I said. “Never mind Thatha, I will check it myself in Google,” he quipped. 

It was already 8.30 pm, and our sole worry was not to go to bed on an empty stomach because Kerala hotels are not known for staying open late hours. We telephoned the ‘Taste of Kalpathy’. “Come before 8.45,” they replied. At such last minutes the fare is either nothing or take-it-all. That rainy night it was the latter.  So, each plate was served in overflowing quantity – be it the main dish Sevai or the accompanying solid chutney, sambar or, as bonus, ‘masala’ of puri-masala.

Next morning we drove to Hariharaputra restaurant for breakfast. The proprietor took no time to guess we were ‘outsiders’.  On knowing we were from Bangalore, he sat beside us and said his grand-daughter too stayed in JP Nagar. “Where in JP Nagar,” I asked. In “Brigade Gardenia,” he replied. “Her name?” He responded. Aunty was quick to say, “Oh I know them; with two children: … and ….” “Yes, but how come you know them?” he asked, getting curious. “They stay in my brother’s son’s apartment,” I responded. A small world, but not enough to attract any discount on the bill.

We then drove to Atirapally, the “the Niagara falls of India”. Good we went during monsoon; the falls were in full blast, though the path to the final point was a little slippery. Grandsons got very close to the permitted area and took snaps. Nature’s bountiful in full display.

We checked in at Guruvayoor hotel, and after a while, headed to the temple. Grandsons waited for their turn for Tulabharam (the devotee offers himself to the Lord by offering one’s weight of materials like jaggery, coconuts, etc.) They were very excited sitting cross-legged on the weighing scale with folded hands, eyes closed and be weighed. Soon after darshan the boys rushed to the elephants waiting at one side chewing their food (the coconut tree branches), before they were bedecked and taken for temple procession. 

After a satisfying Kerala trip, we drove straight back to Bangalore.  Home sweet home, we said as we entered.

(Final: Shivamogga, local visits/shopping, puja at home, departure mode)

Note: Photo/video uploaded courtesy Shankar

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way you narrated this trip, we were also there along with you. A nice blog.

Anonymous said...

Very happy for you elderly couple VVS ji! I am sure you both will cherish these golden moments spent with your family for a long time to come! It is imperative to mention that I have always admired your writings skills🙏

Manikutty said...

Delightful

Share