Sunday, January 12, 2014

The Sundars Suffer a Second Bereavement


Hardly had I set foot on Wednesday for my morning walk when I saw an Eye Donation ambulance negotiating slowly its way into B block. I guessed two possibilities. Either it is here to enroll a new eye donor (a remote possibility at such an early morning), or to collect eyes of an already registered donor who has deceased since. Before I could verify, other morning walkers came up to me and said that Dr Sundar's father, Dr T. Sankaran, had passed away early morning. He was 85 years old, and the end came after a prolonged illness. An entomologist by profession, he retired as the Director of Commonwealth Institute of Biological Control, Bangalore. An insect is named after him, Thomsonisca Sankarani, for his interest in the natural control of insect pests and his contribution to the field of entomology. A distinguished and satisfying career, one would guess.

"He passed away exactly a year after I lost my own father," shared Shobha, in grief. Dr (Maj.Gen.) N. Lakshmipathi), Shobha's father, passed away on 6 January last year.

Shri and Smt Sankaran have two children - Dr Sundar, and Sujatha Balakrishnan. The type of breed that the parents have nurtured is evident from the fact that whenever there is an eye contact with a busy Dr Sundar in Columbia Asia, either with patients or his team, he unfailingly stops by to ask you, "Any help, uncle?"

"I saw the Eye Donation ambulance, and I felt it was a very nice gesture," I told Shobha after the preliminary enquiries when we went to offer condolences. "Yes it was to be, but unfortunately it couldn't take place. For some technical reasons the Centre simply could not remove the eyes. In fact my m-i-l had wanted that his whole body should be donated to M.S. Ramaiah Hospital to benefit the student community. Again, this too could not happen. Maybe, it was preordained that his body should be cremated in one piece," clarified Shobha now in better command of her emotions.

"Change with the changing spirit of time. That is the essence of life, Sundaram," I reminded myself as I admired the family's intention to go all the nine yards.
"Please do take coffee or milk, be it a sip. It is a custom," insisted Mrs Ganga Sankaran (Mami, to be informal). She seemed the most composed among those present. She is an ardent practitioner of Tirupukazh bhajan (hymns in praise of Lord Kartikeya), as many Srishti-ites would vouch. "My granddaughter was Mama's pet, and it was her good fortune that she is here from US along with my daughter and was able to attend to her Thatha's needs these last few days. See, it has so happened that they are booked to fly back exactly a day after the Shubha Sweekaram - the 13th day. That is not to suggest that grandsons are less dear to him. But a daughter and a granddaughter have their own place," Mami added in haste.

Personally, for me and my wife, just a day before our departure to US last January we attended their Kanakabhishekam celebrations. I distinctly remember having whispered into my wife's ears then, "Doesn't it look like we are attending a belated coronation of an old royal couple?"

The Sundars went yesterday morning to Srirangapatnam to immerse the ashes, and they propose to perform the Shuba Sweekaram, on Monday, 20 January, at the Shiva-Vishnu temple premises.

We pray for the departed soul to rest in peace.

V.V. Sundaram

12 January 201

2 comments:

Gaurav said...

Touching obituary

Gopal said...

Sankaran Anna is my cousin brother. I spent a lot of time with him and my manni in Bangalore. I got my first job after college in Coca Cola Bangalore only through Sankaran Anna. He was much senior to me and was always a role modl, particularly because of his education and knowledge and every one in the family greatly appreciated his contribution and his encouraging words.

Share